If you’re looking for an accessible, VT-100 terminal emulator for serial, SSH (including SSH2) and telnet connections, download the free, open source UTF-8 TeraTerm Pro 4.45 and get a modified set of JAWS scripts to enhance its accessibility by adding features such as the automatic speaking of new text as it scrolls to the screen.
Follow these steps to configure TeraTerm to work best with JAWS:
- Launch TeraTerm by pressing enter on the UTF-8 TeraTerm Pro desktop icon.
- Press escape on the list of available connections.
- Press alt+s to pull down the Settup menu.
- Press w to open the Window settings dialogue.
- Press alt+o to move to the cursor shape combo box.
- Press down arrow twice to select horizontal line.
- Press enter to accept the change and dismiss the dialogue.
- Press alt+s again to return to the setup menu.
- Press s to save the modified configuration.
- Press enter to accept the default teraterm.ini file.
After downloading the JAWS scripts, unzip them to your shared JAWS settings folder, which is usually c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\7.10\SETTINGS\enu. Once you have successfully installed the scripts, open TeraTerm and press JAWS Key+H for a list of all available hotkeys. The JAWS Key+A command will be of particular interest to those who wish to automatically hear new text as it scrolls to the screen during a session.
the link to Jaws script is not available anymore. Could you please update it ? Or maybe a newer version of this script does exist somewhere…
(current Tera Term Pro version is 4.57)
Thanks in advance.
On my blog I’ve updated this great information you’ve posted about TeraTerm. I’ve included a script that works with current versions of JAWS, tested with versions 6 and above. You can read it in a few minutes from