Avoiding Microsoft’s Upcoming Automatic Internet Explorer 7.0 Update
Since the current versions of much of our assistive technology do not yet fully support Internet Explorer 7.0, most blind and visually impaired users may want to avoid installing the browser upgrade at this time. See IEBlog : IE7 to be distributed via Automatic Updates! for more details on Microsoft’s plans for providing this update.
In the meantime, follow these steps to avoid the automatic update on Windows 2000, 2003 or XP:
- Click the Start button.
- Point to Settings and choose Control Panel.
- Choose Automatic Updates.
- The default setting is to automatically update without prompting. Select one of the following options instead:
- Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.
- Notify me but don’t automatically download or install them.
- Click OK.
Note: You will now be notified before any updates are installed. Watch the list and uncheck Internet Explorer 7 when it appears.