I would urge you all to be very careful when downloading and installing new software, especially if claims are being made that might sound too good to be true. It seems a direct threat to blind computer users may be “in the wild”. Please review the facts listed below and avoid this Audio Magic trojan horse program at all costs.
- Fantastic claims of a new accessible sound editor may be too good to be true.
- The e-mail address is “email@example.com”.
- The domain name is roachhost.com.
- The software has already been reported to have crashed several computers by removing critical Windows system files!
- We at Blind Access Journal received thousands of worthless blank e-mails from roachhost.com in December of last year.
In late November of last year, I accepted a person’s claim that he had found a way to defeat Google’s visual verification to make it accessible to blind users. I downloaded and ran an executable file that promptly trashed not only my computer, but also all the data on a backup drive connected to another computer on our network! Watch out my friends!